Rising Storm Campaign Server

Important updates will be posted here.
G_84

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 pm

I too think that campaign mode should be restored.

"But G_84 you were asking Divided Team to do something about balance, and when they solved the problem, you are here complaining again, get yourself together you freaking whiner !"

Yes, I was begging Admins to do something about stackers, but I honestly think that the cure is worse than the disease, right now RS1 server is half empty at it best. And about balance issue I have to admit that I overreacted to the situation, I was shocked about 22's efficiency as a TL and his blitz trough the campaign. Few days before you guys changed the server mode, we had a very close games, which is proof to me that US player's adopted to the new situation, we started talking to each other, the coordination was good, and we lost only due to our tactical mistakes. And about "HOHOs"... well they can be irritating, but after speaking with certain Japanese player I understood that they hold no ill-intend feelings or toxicity.

We still have RS1 role on discord, which I think is excellent idea.

So pretty please Divided Team, bring back the campaign mode.

Levi_o_Lusitano

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Good Night everyone its Levi here.

I registered on purpose just to give you my personal feedback regarding the change of the Rising Storm server #3 from Campaign to Map Voting.

First of all compliments on keeping up the Pacific Front server up and running all this time.

I understand that balanced matches are a priority and should be made possible everytime,however we all know no game can be 100% balanced both in RO2 or in RS. Sometimes we get Soviet or german decisive victories without much of a fight by the enemy team,with the same happening on RS

Back when the RS server was Campaign you would have mostly Balanced matches with the occasional axis steamroll,wich was the result of certain individuals playing Japan,in wich myself,22,Nippon,Atti and others would lead Japan to victory .

Lately however i personally decided to play more on the US side to try and turn the tide and i found that the main difference and the cause for the US constant losses is that people simply dont listen. I got commander slot several times on the US side fighting against 22 and the others only to find a hand full of men obeying my commands,with other high levels and low levels refusing to obey orders while on the Japanese Team EVERYONE from lvl11 to lvl 99 listens to the Commander and the NCO´s wich makes a drastic change in the course of the Battle.

For as good as your ideas were they brought an end to what was left of Rising Storm,because even when there were massive japanese or US victories people played the campaings until the very end and even when losing they kept trying to turn the tide.

From roughly 6 pm GMT to 11pm GMT servers were full everyday no matter who won or lost,but now....now i struggle to find even 30 people playing on a weekend. some of my friends even said they wont return to RS server unless it changes...i mean since the change all you get now its a hand full of us "old Guard" and "Veteran" Players with some 40 murdering bots.

I would suggest to you that you revert back to campaign if you dont want to lose your RS players altogether. Its already happening and the longer it takes the more people will move on to games such as RS2 like some of the people have already done some time back.

People complain about uneven matches but the fact was that the server was always full no matter what. The first change should come from the players . Play both teams and make sure coordination and communication are used,make a difference unstead of complaining.

Thank you all for your time and have a good night,
Levi o Lusitano.
Levi o Lusitano

Intense
Site Admin

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. It is hard to see the other side for us, as we dont play daily there, and only we receive from the public (until now) was complains about staxis.

Unfortunately, there isn't a dedicated person as 22 on the US team to have the games more balanced. Now, although we do try to have the servers balanced, we understand the situation on the RS server and that the campaigns were won / blitzed heavily by the japs. That's when complains started to show, and it is hard for us to decide what we can do. It is obviously not 22 & co fault, that they organize the team and play 100% of the time japs. We dont like it, but its nothing we can do about it, as we dont force people to switch teams, this should come from the people, and accepting the responsibility of trying to lead a weaker team, and embracing that challenge, but if people enjoy just slaughtering the enemy team and blitzing through them, in the end, it's not a bannable offense or anything like that, and we can't do much about it.

So yeah like I said, most of the complains so far came from US side, and when vets come and tell us we should do something about the staxis, it puts us in a really awkward position, as we cant do much about it, and unfortunately the RS population is very low, so we considered it would be best under those conditions to change it to vote mode, so if the blitz comes, it doesnt matter.

Problem is that we didnt expect things to turn south like they are right now. So we will consider all the feedback here, and discuss between us what we do (if we bring campaign back or not).

But just to be clear, our intention is not to mess with you guys intentionally and make a bad server, we want a nice healthy server, and to keep the game alive, that is our #1 priority.

memento mori

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

I don't see how removing campaign mode would in any way fix the stacking problem. Wouldn't the stackers still play only on axis? The stackers could, if they wanted to, make everyone on their team vote for whatever map they wanted to and still steamroll. The only difference this server decision made was halve the server population. IMO it's akin to shooting yourself in the foot, if your wish was to keep the server populated. As it was almost always full when the campaign mode was on; stacked axis or not. At least then we got to play in a server with more people than bots. If your #1 priority truly is to keep the server populated, this shouldn't even be a debate whether the campaign mode should be back or not. But that's just me. Right now your server is at the lowest point population-wise than it ever has been. And the population keeps dropping every day. Honestly, there is no point in playing anymore. I might just drop this game myself as things stand right now.

Murphy

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:49 am

HugoStiglitz wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:44 pm
In fact I don't see anything wrong with stacking axis. I, as a veteran player, like challenges. I don't mind losing games when I know I play against good opponents.

The only thing that this change has done is drastically reducing the player base of the server. The best thing to do right now would be to revert the setting back, before all the players forget that some RisingStorm server even exists.
I agree playing against good players creates a challenge but I don't feel like constantly doing so, furthermore, it gets harder and harder with each match USA losses, players leave, creating one team with 3-5+ players, majority of the team being veterans while the other team is filled with newbies, and few vet's who have not yet switched side to "have fun and destroy" the weaker disorganized enemy team...
Levi_o_Lusitano wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 pm
Lately however i personally decided to play more on the US side to try and turn the tide and i found that the main difference and the cause for the US constant losses is that people simply dont listen. I got commander slot several times on the US side fighting against 22 and the others only to find a hand full of men obeying my commands,with other high levels and low levels refusing to obey orders while on the Japanese Team EVERYONE from lvl11 to lvl 99 listens to the Commander and the NCO´s wich makes a drastic change in the course of the Battle.
Exactly the point. I tried many times leading USA to a successful defense, however most of the time I got lucky if half the team listen to my orders. Possible due to low levels or ppl just adopting the "we're fucked anyway so I'm gonna do me" mentality. Or.... I just do not have the charisma the 22 has of inspiring and commanding players.
Intense wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 pm
Unfortunately, there isn't a dedicated person as 22 on the US team to have the games more balanced. Now, although we do try to have the servers balanced, we understand the situation on the RS server and that the campaigns were won / blitzed heavily by the japs. That's when complains started to show, and it is hard for us to decide what we can do. It is obviously not 22 & co fault, that they organize the team and play 100% of the time japs. We dont like it, but its nothing we can do about it, as we dont force people to switch teams, this should come from the people, and accepting the responsibility of trying to lead a weaker team, and embracing that challenge, but if people enjoy just slaughtering the enemy team and blitzing through them, in the end, it's not a bannable offense or anything like that, and we can't do much about it.

Murphy: I agree, however changing people's conscious is the hardest thing in the world, look at corrupt politicians with low/no moral values (Homo Sapiens are mostly shit with occasional redeemable actions of certain individuals after they get their sheep in line.)

So yeah like I said, most of the complains so far came from US side, and when vets come and tell us we should do something about the staxis, it puts us in a really awkward position, as we can't do much about it, and unfortunately the RS population is very low, so we considered it would be best under those conditions to change it to vote mode, so if the blitz comes, it doesn't matter.

But just to be clear, our intention is not to mess with you guys intentionally and make a bad server, we want a nice healthy server, and to keep the game alive, that is our #1 priority.

Jap's attacking Kobura, victory in 12 minuts. Usain Bolt is proud of Jap banzai.
I mostly play USA because most of the time they were losing. I try to keep it balance but many times it happened that I'd TL USA 3 rounds all victory's, changed side's to balance Japs, again nobody picked TL (or some low lvl player did and left or got kicked) so I TL'd Japs to 3 victories, switching sides, repeat. Felt as I was playing against myself.... That was until 22 and staxis came to in effect. Sure I'm up for a challenge but not everyone is, after the annoying ear rape that is "HO HO" players just go "Fuck it, i'm out".

I just turn of my speakers and sip on my Hot coco with wisky.

Because that was becoming more and more frequent I supported, the complaints made against staxis. Something needed to be done by server admins because most of the players are too selfish to try to balance and play fair.
Ok sure, 1 campaign 7 matches, Jap's win. We'll get them next time. But once that repeats right after.... even tend to leave as to why lead a team that doesn't listen/work together against people who enjoy raping the underdogs.
9/10 people enjoy a surprise gang bang.

That's why I started going in the background, only taking TL when necessary. Don't like being in a spotlight, I'm not a great TL and other people deserve to get a shot at it. But if you're new, watch some tutorial videos/steam guides, like I did. Yes, that's how I learned the basics, then I applied the knowledge in bot servers (TL commands + Qrder widgets), and I still don't know everything.

Dear Divided I know you're not messing with us, I appreciate your work and conviction that players get to chose which faction they play as (Freedom of choice matters, but some abused it). I do not agree that removing the campaign from RS was the best solution, I'm still glad to see you are trying to do your best to keep it fair for all.

It's a pickle, what to do, auto balance every round or after every 3 rounds? Map vote or Campain, combined maybe? Kick/ban people for playing one only faction? Place an Admin as overwatch/big brother? Hard decisions, I do not envy Divided.

When staxis was brought up, I knew an action was needed. Most of us did. Sure server was full, but it wasn't healthy, and how long could it sustain the one sided campain. How long till USA players would leave? Not just at the end of the match and campain, but Permanently?

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
1. Reinstate campaign, message: "Play fair, or we take it away", get the player base back, see if things player's choices improve = unknown + unforeseeable = outcome (potentially the best option)

2. Auto balance if 1 team wins 3 consecutive times (possible solution, however, could receive backlash for restricting freedom of choice)

3. Keep vote map Monday-Thursday. Friday to Sunday have a campaign mode, monitored by =D= member = too much work and complications, requires a robot

I wish I knew the right solution but I don't. However I do agree, the candy of Red Orchestra game it is it's campaign (the feel of actions=consuquances)

Atm, Vote map options diluted the player base and now veteran players no longer take TL in the spirit "Let's win this so we can win the campaign" cuz why bother (seen a lot of newbies taking TL roles (mostly for guns but I do hope they took it at least to "practice how to TL"))

CONCLUSION: Player base is droping, current solution ineffective. Could hold an "Brainstorming" event with players and admins on discord to reach a better solution, and talk about it. (advertise it in ingame servers so people show up for the debate/vote/idea list.)

memento mori wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm
Right now your server is at the lowest point population-wise than it ever has been. And the population keeps dropping every day. Honestly, there is no point in playing anymore. I might just drop this game myself as things stand right now.
DO NOT DARE BLAME DIVIDED !
Players actions have consequences and after several complaints of unbalanced teams were made to Divided members, they were forced to make an (unpopular) decision. They DO care about their own servers and playerbase, they do try to make it better. They couldn't have predicted the outcome other than this would stop Staxis.
We all love the game that's why we play it. We are in this together.

So let's work together and find the best possible solution!

P.S. Sorry if ya'r color blind. Monotone reading is killing forums. Solution: Just "Sellect all" the text and you should be fine.

Rivimies

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

Hello All,

we do have some options to make RS1 more playable with modifying the game settings. That is said from technical perspective. I am the UE3 programmer here at Divided, and wrote the Divided RO2 Extension, which has made RO2 more enjoyable I hope. I am not too keen to nerf Banzai feature or something like that, but there are other ways too.

We could make Divided RO2 Extension to have special features for RS1 campaign, like detecting team stacking and then adjust the round (tickets, map times, spawning intervals etc) if needed, to help the underdog faction. We could also take more drastic approach and force players to play on both factions (not during a single campaign, but over a longer period of time). This, however, can be confusing to some players who don't play frequently. Adjusting rounds (on the fly) may not be liked by players who don't enjoy RS1 gameplay itself, but are more interested in easy campaign rolling. But I don't know if those players are needed in the small RS1 community anyway.

I'm writing this post because I would like to hear suggestions from players. Please use this thread to give ideas.

Br,
=D= Rivimies

Cackat

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Salutations,
I too was interested in the reason the server is now vote-for-map. I don't mind the change, however I do miss the fun campaign has to offer.

I don't agree though with the suggestions to change core game mechanics, or on-the-fly changes to the server, or even forcing players to a faction against their will. Making it harder for the winning team might sound good on paper for balance, but why should a team be punished for doing better than their opposition? Mike Tyson didn't have the judges tie his legs together because he was on a winning streak to make it fair for the other guy.
The only time the japs are pacific marathon world champions is when 22 is leading them. The guy is a very skilled leader and the most fun to be around - everyone wants to be on his team, level 99s and beginners alike. Hell, I want to be on his team for his voice alone. When he is not on the games are perfectly balanced and I see no reason for a change in anything. But banning the guy would upset most of the community, and quite frankly is ridiculous. And I don't want core game mechanics nerfed because one guy knows how to use them most efficiently. You don't see the NBA putting one team's hoop slightly higher than the others' because one of the team's players is 7 feet tall.

I know I am putting my foot in my mouth as I just said I don't want to see game mechanics changed, BUUUUUUT - let's just call this a game ADDITION, rather than change: if you could use your programming skills and stuff to add a radio operator to the game. You know like the thing they have in RS2 and HotW. I don't play TL often, but when I do some radios are soooo out of the way of the battle, it's a chore running to them, or getting nuked by a knee mortar because they are out in the open.

G_84

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't think that radio operator role is a good idea, person who gonna pick it will have to follow the TL, and I can assure you that 90% of the time that person gonna be a noob or low lvl who gonna die every 5 seconds, which means we would need another veteran to take this role, besides IMO TL shouldn't be in the center of the fighting, he should stay alive behind our line's.

I don't know if forcing player's to play certain faction is ok with the server rules, I mean few posts ago Comrade Intense was saying that they can't force someone to switch team.

I propose :

- Making the SL and especially TL role locked for very low lvl's, so when you advance to rank, for example 40, you can take SL and similar on TL.

- More flamers in maps in case of team stacking, because flamers can stop banzai charges immediately.

- In case of team stacking, reducing the artillery and recon delay.

- In case of team stacking, increasing the weaker team tickets, and decreasing the round time so attackers would have harder time.

And Cackat, no offence, but have you ever heard about handicapping in sports ?

Arschbürste

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Evening lads,

I, too, registered here, to voice my support for the campaign mode, which i would love to see reinstated! (thx to BRD GMBH by the way for spreading the word on the server).
I agree with everyone above saying that the cure is worse than the disease, so stating the arguments again would be redundant.
As to the possible fixes for the axis stacking problem:
As others have said, the main problem seems to be the lack of cooperation on the American side, but that is sadly nothing you could fix by modifying the game.
The proposed fixes (adjusting tickets, map times, spawning intervals etc.) are maybe worth a try, however it's a bit questionable punishing a team for being efficient, but I would still prefer it over the no campaign mode situation. Something worth trying - however a bit naive maybe - might be appealing to players to balance game by switching teams (e. g. with a special notification after 4 lost/won rounds in a row. Some people on the winning side might not be as aware of the inbalance as the losing team is).

Despite this current situation, I want to thank everybody at Divided for keeping RS alive, that is in itself really great. Thanks for all the work your putting in! And also cheers to you for the civil and kind reception of the criticism that is being voiced here (goes the other way too, reading a thread on a forum where everybody is respectful and behaves like an adult is really refreshing! ).

Have a good week!

Rammetall

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 pm

The balance of the game by changing teams is a good idea. The main thing that it was not forced. For example, I only play Japanese and I would never play for Americans.